Wednesday, July 8, 2009

something worth venting about.

I really don't like the word "hate," but I can't seem to find a better word at this moment.

I hate books that are filthy. and I mean filthy, filthy. Filthy enough to make me put them down, even when the non-filthy parts are sooo potentially incredible. {And I am selective about what I read/watch, but I am not someone who gets squeamish during a PG movie.}

And I hate when you can't even get past page 5. At least the author has the decency to warn you early, that this is not the kind of so-called "love" you believe in and/or want to read about for 500 pages (and believe me, I skimmed a great deal of it, and saw more than a few choice expletives, as well as some "scenes" I have no desire to reproduce in my head)

And I hate that books don't have a rating system. That would make things so much easier. Books are supposed to be better than movies, right?

Grrrrrrr! <---that is how I feel inside right now. Blood boiling. Almost the same way I feel when I think about landfills, and anti-mormon stunts at Conference.

3 comments:

  1. seeeeeriously. i especially hate it when it's supposed to be a classic book, and you really want to read it to appreciate it for its amazing literature value, but you run out of patience with your censoring sharpie by page 15. grrr indeed.
    thanks for the heads up though! will definitely not bother reading that book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay censoring sharpie! I'm not the only one.

    I have a half-finished copy of "21" with at least 30 F words conveniently covered up.


    There should be an underground "CleanReads" with weapons of white out and censoring sharpies:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eh, don't bother finishing that book. There are sooooooo many others that are clean that are much more worth reading! Of course this was weeks ago and you've probably already finished. I'm behind on my blogs :( Just fyi you three, don't read Native Son. I had to for class and I was kind of scarred by the time I finished it.

    ReplyDelete